Startling Things Happening to Girls
- 75% of girls with low self-esteem reported engaging in negative activities like cutting, bullying, smoking, drinking, or disordered eating. This compares to 25% of girls with high self-esteem.
- Nearly 40% of all teenagers have posted or sent sexually suggestive messages online.
- 83% of girls report being bullied either in school or online.
- 12-year-old girls with low self-esteem are 2 ½ times more likely to engage in heavy drug & alcohol use by age 15.
- The risk of teenage motherhood is raised – by up to 50% – among teenage girls with lower self-esteem.
- In the U.S., 1 in 4 sexually active teens become infected with an STD every year.
- Source: Dosomething.org